- Got confirmed headlines for both charity gigs
- Began planning the live album which i wished to record
- Designed artwork for the live album
- Market and promote the upcoming gigs
- Print out posters and flyers
- Practice for the upcoming gigs with my backing musicians
- Contact artists with more details relating to the gigs
- Write out marketing plan for live album
I should really catch up on these diaries…
So i have sorted out everything for the gigs on 7th and 14th. I am going to be practicing with my backing band soon. Need to print out flyers and posters still which i will do next week as i am going into college. I need to also write up a marketing plan for the live album.
- Organised two charity gigs at Bar 42 for which i have all the support acts
- Designed posters and graphics for the two charity gigs
- Contacted artists to headline both gigs
- Get confirmed headlines for both charity gigs
- Market and promote the two upcoming gigs
- Plan and design a live compilation album featuring sets from all signed artists to the label
Another late one again…
With the project drawing to a close in a few weeks i have organised two last gigs on 7th and 14th. Both of the gigs are in support of Cancer research and i have most of the line up with the exception of headlines for both gigs. I also plan to record the sets from myself, Luke Amor and Red Shores and release them as a live compilation album after the gigs, i need to design artwork for this and begin promoting it.
I feel like i need to step up my marketing game so i will look into various successful marketing campaigns from labels and artists. I will also contact various other record labels to look into how those labels market and promote their releases successfully.
- I have re planned the charity gig into two separate gigs on the same week one of which i have got Bar 42 for on Tuesday 14th June.
- Marketed and Promoted the upcoming gig on Wednesday
- Find a venue for the other charity gig i wish to put on in June
- Follow up with Luke amor and his managers about the tracks for the press package
- Organise one more gig for late may/early June to host Luke Amor, Joseph Bagwell in a pub type setting
- Market and Promote the Label and artists
I feel like i have been falling behind on the main label focus of marketing and promoting the artists i sign. I still have not gotten round to creating a press package for Luke Amor however for that i am still awaiting two tracks to include with the package.
Though i would like to book another gig for late may i feel that it is best for now to focus on the two charity gigs that i am planning for June. I currently have Bar 42 booked on 14th June for one of the gigs which will be the metal night. I need to book a venue for a second gig to showcase myself, Luke amor and similar artists as well.
I think over the next week or so i will need to look into marketing and promotion more as these are the main goals for a record label when releasing artists material.
- Hosted another two gigs (Bar 42 on 27th and The Smugglers Return on 29th)
- Began contacting venues about final charity gig
- Organised all the support bands for 18th May at Bar 42 for which i have designed a poster
- Contacted Luke amor to discuss a press package in promotion of his upcoming EP
- Uploaded proposal/preparation documents to classroom
- Contact Technicolor Limabean about expenses for 18th
- Complete the poster and event page for 18th
- Book a venue for final charity gig in June
- Begin recording solo EP
- Organise and create a press package for Luke Amor’s upcoming EP
- Research and contact music blogs/magazines and radio stations to promote and market Luke Amor’s upcoming EP and also the label
- Follow up with Katie James about new logo
I am sitting here writing this late diary at Barnham station as the trains are royally screwed this morning. Weird how i am late to college writing up a late weekly log huh?
Another two gigs have passed now, the one last Wednesday at Bar 42 which featured Operation Kino, Technicolor Limabean, Dialysis and our own Red Shores. The gig was opened by a band i am starting with the two members of Red Shores called Phantom of Eden, hopefully this is something i can continue with them. Friday’s gig was hosted by The Smugglers Return and featured headline Andy and the Echoes, The Red Smoke, Ellie Niaomh and myself. This gig has probably been the one with the most problems and things which i have talked about in a brief evaluation of the gig.
I talked to Luke Amor who has informed me that his first Ep is nearing completion which is great. Next week i shall need to put together a press package to promote the upcoming EP to radio stations, magazines and music blogs. I plan to also start recording a solo EP of some of my songs i have written which i will start recording today!
I still need to hear from Technicolor Limabean about expenses for 18th which i will follow them up on. I also need to contact Kate James who was designing a logo for me to see how that is going. Hopefully this next month will be more productive in the marketing and promotion side of things!
- Fully organised the gig on 18th may including finished all graphics/poster and a schedule. I have also written up a guest list for the gig.
- Followed up with Katie James about a new logo
- Recorded two scratch tracks for solo EP
- Began putting together a press package for Luke Amor
- Organised door personnel for 18th
- Call back the Prince albert to enquire about booking for a gig in June
- Complete Luke Amor’s press package
- Research into more venues
- Research music blogs/radio stations and magazines to promote Luke Amor and Label related activity
Back to normal schedule with these hopefully!
I have now pretty much fully organised the gig for 18th May minus a few small details which will be discussing getting payment for the bands and also wristbands. I need to step up my promotion game for this event which is something i will need to focus on this week. One thing i will need to do in aid of this task is researching into more music blogs/magazines and radio stations in the local area who might be interested in advertising the gig.
I still have had no luck with a venue for June, i contacted the Prince Albert in Brighton but have not heard back from them yet so i will follow up with them later today. My main concern for this gig will be finding a venue that is ideally free if not cheap like Bar 42 but one that has availability during the dates i am looking at. It may be a case of having to cut down to just one evening if i cannot find a booking for three consecutive nights. I will also look into more venues around worthing and Brighton which might be good for the gig i wish to host.
Hopefully i can put together Luke Amor’s press package soon and start marketing his own music as he is almost ready to release some material. Red Shores on the other hand are currently not ready to release anything due to undergoing a change in direction so i will keep checking up on them to see how they are doing.
Progress made this week
- Fully organised the gigs for wednesday and friday
- Began planning a final big charity gig
- Began planning a metal gig at Bar 42 on 18th
- Began planning a gig at Ye Olde House at Home in worthing
- Designed poster for 18th May
- Promoted the upcoming gigs on wednesday and friday
- Fully organise the gigs on 18th may and also begin organising one more gig in May
- Promote and market upcoming gigs
- Research into venues for the final big charity gig
- Get bands for the final big charity gig
- Market and promote gig on the 18th
- Catch up with artists to see how they are getting along with their material
- Create press packs for Red Shores and Luke Amor
- Sort out pa for friday
Always wear earplugs when practicing doom metal!!! I sit with my ear ringing after practicing with Caleb Morganfield and Harrison Mortely for out set on wednesday. I have finally come up with a good plan for my final gig. For a while i have been wanting to do a charity gig at some point in this project but have not found the time to put one one. I decided that it’d be a better idea to have the last big gig as my charity gig, two evenings of rock and metal music! I can charge something like £3 on door at each evening and sell £5 two evening passes online to people who want a slight discount on both nights. I already have a few bands up for playing but i need to find a good venue to host the gig, this is one of the main tasks i will focus on this week.
With the gigs on wednesday and friday approaching i also need to promote these as much as i can. As the venue for Friday does not have a PA i will need to talk with the technicians and give them a pa list for us to borrow for the event.
I need to catch up with the bands to see how they are getting on with their material. I know Luke Amor has almost gotten a full Ep ready to go so marketing and promoting him will be my priority as Red Shores are not in the position to record at this time.
Progress made this week
- Evaluated the gig from Wednesday
- Organised the gigs for 29th and 27th including printed posters, flyers and created event pages
- Followed up with Katie Lisa James about label logo
- Met with Nielsen Reaveley about him possibly signing to the label
- Updated the wordpress websites
- Promote the upcoming gigs on 27th and 29th
- Follow up with Nielsen Reaveley about possibly signing to the label
- Plan out 3 gigs for May
- Discuss EP/Album possibilities with all the artists
- Research into van hire for 29th
- Get a full list of PA equipment needed for 29th
- Research more venues around Brighton and Worthing
As the first week draws to a close on my FMP i sit writing this entry with a cup of tea from my Pink Floyd mug whilst listening to Pink Floyd. I have managed to catch up with Katie Lisa James about the logo i was getting her to design, she has been ill throughout most of Easter and so has not had a chance to get round to designing it which is understandable.
A few days ago i had an email from a student on the music technology course called Nielsen Reaveley who sent me some of his songs from soundcloud, he was interested in possibly working with me on my label. I had a meeting with him and he has taken away both the manager/artist agreement and record contract to give them a good read and some time for him to debate whether he wishes to sign. Hopefully he will as the songs he had uploaded to soundcloud sounded really good and i hope to be working with him soon.
I also had my first gig this week. This went quite well although we had a few issues. One of which was i had forgotten to discuss back line and tech specs with the band so on the day of the gig none of the guitarists had amp heads for the cabs. This however was not an issue as Bar 42 had a couple of combo guitar amplifiers which worked nicely. We had a decent turn out for a Wednesday evening however i feel that we could have had a better one if i had promoted the gig more and also put Bar 42’s address on the posters/flyers. Despite these issues the gig went quite well.
I still have two more gigs this month. The first is on 27th at Bar 42. For this i remembered to discuss back line and tech specs with the bands however still forgot the address of Bar 42. Hopefully this won’t be too big an issue. The second gig is on 29th at The Smugglers Return. For this i will need to borrow a PA from the college and either find someone with a van who can transport the pa for me or hire a van which one of the sound technicians who will be working at the gig will be driving.
I intend to research this week into more venues around Brighton and Worthing which might be good for the gigs i want to put on and also plan out three more gigs for next month including a charity gig of some sorts. I also need to discuss with my current artists about ep/album material and see how things will be going between them and myself.
My other big task this week is to research into more music blogs, magazines and radio stations who would be interested in some of my current artists and also creating press packages.
Hopefully next week will be more productive!